Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Art of Animation

Welcome to Disneyland's Opera House where the Art of Animation is housed. For animators, it is a place of "worship." You see your favorite animated films in their "infant" stage. I have always been amazed with artists. Their "baby" all started from an idea and through their creativity and greatness, blossomed into the "real" thing.



Here are some characters from Disney and Pixar's animated films that have entertained us from childhood to old age :)

Mickey and Friends


Dumbo

Snow White
Aladdin




Cinderella

The Incredibles

Belle

Beauty and the Beast



Cars

Ratatouille
I love animation. I remember my dad bought me a Fisher Price film projector where I can watch 8mm Disney films like Snow White, Cinderella, etc by cranking it by my bare hands. It was my fantasy world. Maybe that is one reason why I went into moviemaking. Whenever I travel abroad, I always try to look for that toy but cannot find a similar one. My toy just got lost during my childhood years and cannot remember if we gave it away :(

I saw the IMAX version of "Beauty and Beast" on New Year's Day in Canada years ago. It blew me away watching it on an eight-story screen size. It was also a sweet screening because every woman was given by a plastic red rose (which looked real) at the cinema. I still have it until now. I also got a big picture of Belle framed in my room. I think all girls dream of being a princess someday, waiting for the right guy to sweep them off their feet hehe.

One of the oldest animators I met was Ray Harryhausen (responsible for the animation in Mighty Joe Young, Jason and the Argonauts, The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad, Clash of the Titans) in a festival in Hiroshima, Japan. He is the "father" of stop motion animation. It was an enlightening trip. I saw his passion discussing his films. He lectured to a large crowd and no one is allowed to take pictures of his creations or record his demonstration. Even at an old age, he breathes and lives animation. He would tell stories on how he used his parent's garage to make his films. He is quite an inspiration. (If you watch Monsters Inc, there's a place called Harryhausen--a homage to a great man!)
Animation is a long and tedious process. It is also a lonely job. Most of the time you are alone doodling your craft. I have always admired animators and artists for they bring us back to our happy and carefree childhood years with their heartfelt and entertaining imagination.

Hail to the animators!

No comments: