Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sistine Chapel


Three years ago, we went into a European pilgrimage and visited four countries---France, Spain, Portugal and Italy. It was a generous blessing for it was an all-expense paid trip for a career that I love doing.  My last European trip was in 2000 but I stayed only in Amsterdam, Netherlands when digital cameras  were not yet "in."  I saw Vincent Van Gogh's artworks in his museum and knowing that my trip will bring me to Rome, I had to visit the Sistine Chapel at the Vatican city to see Michelangelo's masterpieces.  I discovered the Renaissance artists because of the paper I have done in high school featuring Leonardo da Vinci and I have learned to love their style.

I hid my camera inside a bag to get this "forbidden" shot.
I am posting the photo above because it was forbidden and a "sin" to shoot inside the Sistine Chapel. But I had to get a souvenir shot so I hid my camera, removed the flash and clicked the shutter. I have not come all the way from Manila NOT to shoot the Sistine Chapel.  There were a lot of Vatican security guards (in their James Bond-style suits and earpiece radio) watching all the tourists NOT to take photos.  They were also very vocal telling everyone that camera is prohibited.  So with nervous hands and a deadpan face, I shot inside and got my souvenir photo.

Below are some images from the internet.  If you need to read the background, read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sistine_Chapel.


The ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

The famous "Creation of Adam"

The Sistine Chapel is a bit small.  It was full of tourists when we visited so the solemnity of the place was a bit compromised.  But the grandeur of the paintings was amazing.  Never mind if one would get a sniff neck from looking up/down the ceilings and watching the walls filled with biblical interpretations from the painters.

I sat on a bench in one corner, silently prayed and gave thanks to the many blessings in my life.  I was inside the Sistine Chapel and I was in heaven.

No comments: